Dallas County Sheriff

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I'm looking for Jail Information, where do I need to go?
A: Please see the Jail Information link listed on every page of this website.

Q: How do I check if someone is in your jail?
A: Please call the inmate information line at 214.761.9025.

Q: How do I contact the Dallas County Sheriff's Department?
A: Visit the Contact Us section.

Q: How do I check on a warrant with the Dallas County Sheriff’s Department?
A: Please call the warrant information line at 214.761.9026.

Q: With regards to Inmate Property.
A: Property releases are processed on all incoming inmates, whether they have been processed through the vault or not. If the inmate has no housing location, the clerk will obtain the inmate's signature. If the inmate has a housing location, the property release form will be taken to the housing location at the proper jail facility by the property release requestor to obtain the inmate's signature. Once signed, it will be returned to the control center in the front lobby of the Lew Sterrett Justice Center. Once the inmate has been processed through the vault, the property release must be for ALL PROPERTY. Individual items may not be released. Clothing and other property cannot be released on the same form. Please note: Separate forms are to be used if the visitor wishes to pick up both.

The requestor must have one of the following forms of identification:

  • Valid picture state driver’s license, paper license renewal must be accompanied by another picture identification.
  • Texas Department of Public Safety Picture Identification Card.
  • Identification card issued by the Dallas County Jail.
  • Official government passport.
  • Alien registration card or any other valid picture identification card from the United States Government.
When the signed property release is returned to the control center in the front lobby of Lew Sterrett, the property will be retrieved and given to the requestor. The requestor will sign the property release form indicating that they did receive the property.

Q: Can I bring an inmate's prescription eyeglasses to him/her?
A: Yes, just bring the glasses to building control of the appropriate jail facility. Prescription glasses and reading glasses are OK.

Q: Can I bring any reading materials to an inmate?
A: No, all reading materials are distributed through the Inmate Programs Section. This includes all books, magazines and religious materials.

Q: Can an inmate be allowed to leave the jail to attend an immediate family member funeral?
A: Unfortunately, due to staffing limitations we are unable to escort inmates.

Q: I'm a lawyer needing to get my private investigator in the jail to interview an inmate.
A: You must provide your investigator with a letter authorizing them to interview the inmate in question. The "original letter" must be on your official letterhead with the date of the interview. Faxed copies will not be accepted. The investigator must have a new updated letter for each visit, along with a government issued I.D. as well as a current investigator license.

Q: Can I marry a person incarcerated in your jail?
A: No, due to new marriage license laws effective September 1, 2013. Both parties must be present.

Visit https://www.dallascounty.org/government/county-clerkk/marriage-license.php for more information.

Q: Can my company/organization participate in your jail inmate programs?
A: Please visit the Contact Us section, under Inmate Programs Division.

Q: How can I submit a commendation/complaint regarding one of your employees?
A: Please contact the Dallas County Sheriff's Department Internal Affairs Division at (214) 653-3414.

Q: How can I get divorce papers served?
A: You must contact the appropriate Dallas County Constable's office to assist you. The Dallas County Sheriffs Department does not serve civil papers.

Q: Who do I contact if I want to do business with the Dallas County Sheriff's Department?
A: You can contact Dallas County purchasing (214) 653-6574.

Q: How can I obtain a sheriff clearance letter or application for pardon and paroles?
A: Come to the Sheriff's Executive Offices located at the Frank Crowley Court House on 133 N. Riverfront Boulevard Dallas, Texas 75207. We are on the ground floor in room C-15. You will need to fill out a Dallas County Sheriff's Department Clearance form or application for pardon and paroles and present two forms of valid identification. Any two of the following forms of I.D. will work: Driver’s License, Texas Department of Public Safety identification card, social security card, birth certificate or passport. The fee is $35.00 in the form of cash, a cashier’s check or money order. This letter is only good for a Dallas County background check. For a statewide check contact the Texas Department of Public Safety. Please allow 48 hours for processing. Please be advised, if you bring this letter downloaded from the website please be sure to have it notarized by an official public notary.

Clearance Form here.

Application for Pardon and Paroles here.

For additional information on Immigration/Dream Act visit: http://www.us-immigration.com/index.html

Q: How can I retrieve my car which was towed? How can I locate it?
A: The location of your car is listed on Dallas County Sheriff's Department vehicle impound record. Go to the towing service listed on the report. You must have proof of liability insurance, current registration, and current driver’s license. All fees must be paid before vehicle can be released.

Q: How do I pay a ticket?
A: Every citation written by a Dallas County deputy sheriff should list the justice of the peace court where the citation is assigned. The phone number for the court will be printed prominently on either the front or the back of the citation depending on whether it is a hand written or computer generated citation. To take care of the citation, simply contact the court. A complete list of all Dallas County justice of the peace courts and their phone numbers is available here:

Q: How do I make a bid in the Dallas Country Sheriff's Auction?
A: You must fill out an application from the tax department for a permit to bid on property at the auction ($10.00 fee applies.) These permits are only good for 90 days and must be renewed on or before they expire. You may not bid on any property without a permit. For more information call the Tax Department at (214) 653-7811.

Any payment to the Dallas County Sheriff's Department must be in cash or cashiers check made payable to "Dallas County Sheriff". No letter credit will be accepted, all sales are final. There are no returns and no refunds.

Two weeks after the sale you will get a sheriff's deed that states that you purchased the property at the sheriff's sale. You must record the deed by taking to the Records Building-Recording Department to get it in your name. The former property owner has the right to buy the property back for six months, if it is not a homestead and for two years, if it is a homestead. They pay what you paid and 25 percent the first year and 50 percent the second year, plus the cost incurred to bring the property up to code.

Q: How can I have my fingerprints taken?
A: Visit the Lew Sterrett Justice Center and follow the orange line along the edges of the floor to the probation check office. Each card will cost you $5.00. Cash only. Photo I.D.is required.

Our fingerprint services can be used for many purposes including:
  • Public Identification Cards
  • Employment
  • Gun License
  • Adoption
  • ID Theft
  • Liquor license
  • Military
  • Security Guards
  • Law Enforcement
  • Insurance Agents
  • Real Estate
  • Teachers
  • Medical
  • Bail Bonds
  • CPS's
  • Lottery Retailer
Q: How can I get a jail visitation card? (18 years of age and U.S. Citizens only)
A: Monday-Friday 8:00a.m.-3:30p.m.

Visit to the Lew Sterrett Justice Center and follow the orange line along the edges of the floor to the probation check office.

A jail visitation card can be purchased for $5.00. This card will be used for visitation purposes only at the Dallas County Jail.

To acquire a Dallas County Jail Visitation Card you will need three (3) of the following forms of identification. These must be original documents, no scanned forms will be accepted.
  • Social Security Card
  • School I.D.
  • Work I.D.
  • Birth Certificate
  • Expired Texas Department Public Safety identification card.
  • Texas Department Public Safety renewal slip.
Q: How do I set up an Inmate Telephone Account?
A: To set up an Inmate Phone account, your family can call 1-866-699-9974, or go online to http://dallascounty.debitcalls.com.

If you require further assistance please call 1-800-786-8521.